Wednesday, April 26, 2017

NWC Biennale {Road Trip to Oklahoma}


 Last weekend, my friend Heather and I, traveled to Norman, Oklahoma for the National Weather Center Biennale artist reception. 


My photograph, Brewing, is one of 27 photographs chosen for the exhibition. Paintings and Mixed Media are also part of the show. With over 500 entries worldwide, 90 final pieces were selected by artist Joe Goode to represent art and weather. 


What an honor to be part of this exhibition! I am the only artist from South Dakota as part of the show and am so proud to be representing my beautiful state.   


We received a catalog featuring each art piece. Several artists I had the privilege of meeting exchanged signatures in our books. What a fun tradition and one I hope to repeat if my work is chosen again.



This painting by David J. Holland was one of my favorites. 


 I enjoyed meeting Cyndy Carstens and her work is just beautiful! 


I also got to catch up with my dear friend, Karri Jo, who moved down to Oklahoma three years ago. Was so good to spend time with her! 
I was also very thankful to have Heather along with me. The 12 hour drive went by much quicker with someone to talk to and laugh with.

Me, Karri Jo & Heather


This was my second visit through Oklahoma City. Both times I've gone to the memorial. I was in 7th grade when the bombing occurred. 

Reflecting Pool
The people who put this memorial together did an amazing job creating such a beautiful place to remember this tragic history. This memorial makes me proud to be an American.

Field of Empty Chairs-enscribed with the name of each person who died, and is in the row that represents which floor they were on. Nineteen smaller chairs are for children.

The Survivor Tree-witness of April 19, 1995. The only tree to survive the bombing and continues to stand today.
If you are ever in Oklahoma City, I highly recommend stopping to remember and to honor.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture! I love watching the weather, especially the clouds which you capture so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie! I never tire of watching the clouds-there's always something new and beautiful to see. :)

      Delete